Shortest Distance Between Two People



Some positive psychology studies conclude that writing down funny moments daily in a journal helps promote long-term well-being and decreases risk for depression. I haven't developed a daily habit yet, but I do keep a list of hearty laughs from my vacations.

This past week, I visited one of my best friends cross country. One unique aspect of our friendship is the plethora of endearingly awkward/funny moments - attributed to the fact that we have notably different living, thinking, and speaking "cadences". 

In honor of this trip, I have recorded examples of such moments:
  • Our reunion moment: right as my butt touches the passenger car seat, she yells "HUUUG!" I stare blankly for a moment and go in for a hug (delayed reaction), right as she blocks me with one hand and says "...OR maybe high-five...?"
  • She plans a lot in advance when people visit, so when I finally arrive, she says "I'm tired. I feel like I've already been hanging out with you for the past 2 months"
  • Seafood stew arrives at our table - simultaneous reactions: Her: "Ahhh...perfect size" ; Me: "Ahhh...such small portions"
  • We have dichotomous water-intake habits, so by the end of our first full day together - simultaneous reactions: Her: "Gah...I've never had so much water" ; Me: "Gah...I feel dehydrated"
  • In high school, I played a lot of competitive golf. B/c I couldn't eat a big meal and golf well, I learned to operate for most of the day a little hungry. Thus, when I'm with friends, I don't mind continuing our activities without much to eat. So on this trip, when people asked if I was hungry, she would respond, "Oh, she doesn't really get hungry. She is trained in not eating
  • When I try to be too PC, I become a very ineffective communicator. This was the case when we had tea with her meditation teacher. I would ask a long-winded question. The teacher would look confused but try to respond. My friend would "translate" the question more concisely, and the teacher would say, "Mmmm, great question"
  •  We both rejuvenate through alone time, so on the ride to airport for my return flight, rather than gush "I'll miss yous", we gush: "I'm really looking forward to being by myself" ; "OMG, I feel the same way"
Our friendship reminds me that two people can live and interact very differently and sometimes completely "miss" each others' rhythms. But rather than stunt connection, these moments connect us more deeply through laughter. And laughter, after all, is the shortest distance between two people.

No comments:

Post a Comment